18.12.09

Overlooked: Eye of the Beholder

Before I head off for Shabbat tonight, there has been a particular topic I've been mulling over in my mind sparked by the movie, "Keeping the Faith" which stars Edward Norton (Father Brian), Ben Stiller (Rabbi Jake), and Jenna Elfman (Anna). It's a fun romantic comedy which starts out like a classic joke, Priest walks into a bar...

Anyways, there is this one scene where Anna and Father Brian are taking a cab ride home and Anna mentions that she had been at the Metropolitan Museum of Art earlier. Going on a weekly basis, she walks through the same galleries again and again, but this particular day she notices a small but breathtaking watercolor by Bogdan Grom. She comments on how she has gone through time and time again, but has never noticed this piece, and yet she found herself just staring at it for hours.

It got me thinking as to what do I go through life overlooking. I generally take pride in thinking that I am a very intuitive and observing individual, but I'm not aware of everything. What things do I not notice? What beauty is there that I do realize?

That then draws the questions as to what constitutes as being beautiful considering that that is what we may be missing. What is beauty? Is it subjective or objective? If objective, then what are its standards?

If we are overlooking something that we often spend our lives striving for, what else could we possibly be missing? What are we not paying attention to? Could it be important or simply extraneous? What should we be focusing on? Or more so, what should we be looking for?

1 comment:

  1. It's impossible for us to notice every single thing going on around us at any singular moment. I think they call people who get close to doing that ADD.

    As a particularly spacey person who notices very little, I can say that I miss out on certain things each day. Of course, nobody can comment about what they miss because we don't know what we don't notice.

    I find that the best way to go about ensuring observancy and appreciation for the world around us is to pick one thing each day to make observations about. For one day, focus on peoples interactions with others, bird callings in the trees, or even the abstract sounds and images that you come across in an area that you frequent often. By chosing one thing to notice each day we will eventually increase the awareness and size of the world around us.

    ReplyDelete